Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Raising the Roof (well, almost)





To prove that my childhood dream of living in a small farming community (with highly liberal social and economic policies) has come somewhat true, family and neighbors have toiled long and late hours to help in the construction of The Coop.

We procured my father's schematic expertise early on Saturday for some Coop renderings. Then, my mother, father, and I surveyed our scrounged inventory of random length of 2x4s and began framing our coops. As always, we depended upon the generosity of our next-door-neighbors for their non-cordless saw. And, by the end of the day, we had the coop basically framed. I secretly wanted to forge ahead, perhaps even sleeping outdoors to be able to leap to work again in the morning. But, we had W's 10-year reunion to attend.

Sunday, David came to our house, and we continued our hen-home-making. David and I finished adding the no-formaldehyde plywood to the frames, adding the windows, and chicken-door. David then began to paint the Coop what should be called 'Coop Red.'

Meanwhile, Willie prepared a lovely little pad of professionally installed pavers (see more at www.EschenfelderLandscaping.com). I almost wished we could keep it as a patio. Then, Gab and Jason, our neighbors from across the street, wandered over to help actually put the thing together. However, when we stood up the lovely abode, I realized that I mis-measured. So, Monday evening, Willie, Jason, Gabby, and I added another row of pavers, finished with concrete, before dark. But, since I was home from work around nine and Willie was home about ten minutes earlier, we decided not to use any power tools that night.

Meanwhile the chicks are waiting anxiously to stretch their wings. We need to raise their little bird roof tonight.

No comments: